May 10th, 2023
We all know that a good oral hygiene routine should include brushing and flossing, but what about mouthwash? Mouthwash is a great tool to give your entire mouth an extra clean and prevent harmful oral conditions. Read on to learn the top five benefits of mouthwash.
Did you know toothbrushes only clean about 60% of tooth surfaces? The other 40% require tools, such as floss and antiseptic mouthwash, to clean. A recent study found that certain types of mouthwash are 4.6x more effective than floss for plaque reduction. Although this does not mean you should throw your floss away, it does show that implementing mouthwash into your oral hygiene routine could significantly reduce plaque buildup and tooth decay.
Antiseptic mouthwash kills germs that cause bad breath, which leaves a fresh feeling in the mouth. While cosmetic mouthwashes just mask oral odors, and the effects are only temporary. Think of antiseptic mouthwash like deodorant and cosmetic mouthwash like perfume. If you are about to go to the gym, you will probably reach for deodorant instead of perfume. Deodorant does not cover body odors like perfume; it eliminates the bacteria that cause the smell in the first place. If you are looking for an effective, long-lasting way to freshen your breath after a cup of coffee or a garlic bagel, look for an antiseptic mouthwash with the ADA seal of approval.
Mouthwashes containing chlorhexidine or hydrogen peroxide are an effective preventive measure against gum disease. Washing away excess food particles and killing harmful bacteria are a few ways mouthwash can lower the risk of gum disease. It can also help patients with gum disease manage the condition. Mouthwash reduces inflammation and promotes the tissue to heal quickly for patients with periodontal disease.
Not only does mouthwash help prevent tooth decay, but it also can hinder the growth of cavities. However, not every kind of mouthwash actively fights against cavities. Look for mouthwashes that contain fluoride if you are looking for cavity prevention. Be sure to double-check that fluoride is listed as an active ingredient on the mouthwash bottle because many types of mouthwash are fluoride-free!
Canker sores are a common type of oral ulcer, typically triggered by stress, acidic foods, sugar, or food sensitivities. If you notice this type of annoying bump in your mouth, add mouthwash to your oral routine! Mouthwash can help canker sores disappear within just days.
Remember to brush and floss every day! Mouthwash cannot effectively clean your smile by itself. Using your toothbrush, floss, and mouthwash daily will leave your smile squeaky clean and help prevent oral conditions from developing. If you are unsure what type of mouthwash is best for your smile, ask us for a recommendation on your next visit!